The general public most likely assume that libraries are all about being quiet, boring, learning for assessments and discovering places to hang around with your mates… however there may be more to libraries than simply that. Take these pictures as an example of fantastic architecture and design. No, these are not scenes from dramatic films or prototypes of what libraries may appear to be. Each one of these bold rooms exist somewhere on earth. They’re home to books, wisdom and beauty… they are not your average public libraries.
1. Beinecke Library
2. Iowa State Capital Law Library
3. Stuttgart City Library
4. New York Public Library
5. The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County
6. Melk Abbey Library
7. University of Coimbra Library
8. Prague Clementinum (National Library)
9. Strahov Monastery Library in Prague
10. The Vatican Apostolic Library
11. Zurich B2 Boutique Hotel
12. Admont Abbey Library
13. Our Lady of Einseldeln Archabbey Library
14. The Austrian National Library
15. Trinity College Library of Dublin
16. The Providence Athenaeum Library
17. Stockholm’s possible future Public Library (architect’s rendering).
Libraries are not just about getting shushed. They store and protect priceless knowledge all over the world. Not only that, but people have spent centuries building beautiful libraries, letting their architecture be defined by these buildings. Absolutely incredible.