The human eye is one of the most important parts of the body. They see the world in ultra high definition. They are the “windows to the soul.” They are more than meets the… well… eye. Humans heavily rely on sight, but do you really know what’s going on in your sockets? Crazier things than you realize happen right in the middle of your face. Blink and you’ll miss them!
1. The eye is always making “microsaccades”, or slight jerks, to ensure that images don’t fade from your vision.
2. The average person blinks 17 times a minute.
3. The human eye basically never changes size. However, when you’re born, you can only see about 15 inches away.
4. The human eye actually perceives images upside down. It’s the brain that flips the image.
5. Your tears have different compositions based on whether you’re crying, laughing, or have irritated eyes.
6. If you had sight before becoming blind, you’ll still dream in images.
7. If you’re shortsighted, your eyeball is longer than normal. If you’re farsighted, it’s shorter than average.
I didn’t know a single one of those facts. (And I’ve had my own eyes for 30+ years.) Who knew I grew such amazing works of technology, or that I was so lazy about reading their “instruction” manual?